Masthead

Philco 42-321

Logo

no imageMy grandfather's radio. This came out in 1942: Philco had the sensible idea of assigning model numbers based on the year of production, so for many years, the first two digits tell you when the radio came out. If they carried the radio over another model year, they'd change the model name to reflect it.

This one's been refinished. The original color (if you look at photoso n the net) is lighter, but this is nice enough.

I got this along with several others, and used it as a tube donor for another one of these, so I don't know where I am with it. It's queued to be looked at if I ever finish the RCA 128.

The schematics I found online are scanned from Rider's Perpetual Troubleshooter's Manual, Volume 14. The scan I had from my own volume, and the ones I saw online, were from the same or worse source and not very good. They were also probably done many years ago when scanners weren't so good, they were trying to lower the resolution to keep the file size down, and scanning the whole book so the quality of individual pages wasn't that big a deal.

service docsPoint is that I pulled my copy of the PTM, saw that the print was clearer, and made my own 300 DPI scan of the two pages for this radio. Click the PDF icon on the left.

This is an early All-American 5, plus an RF amp up front to improve performance. Four of the six are Loktals. The tube compliment:

7C7 RF amp
7A8 Converter
7B7 IF amp
7C6 2nd Detector and first AF
50L6 audio out
35Z3 rectifier
Also a 6.3V 150mA screw-base #40 dial lamp. You can sub a #47 if you want to convert it to bayonet mount.

I had to replace the filter capacitor, which was a cardboard type mounted below the chassis, so it was pretty easy. Touched up the IF. Didn't bother with tracking. I got off lucky, but really this is an uncomplicated rig. There's not too much to go wrong.

Current status: works fine .